Recording/Cubase

Chat about amps, effects, cables, software and other types of gear

Recording/Cubase

Postby mcarp555 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:52 am

What's everyone been using for recording lately? I have a TASCAM 788 which was state-of-the-art back in the day (2003!) which still works for me. But when I got my new amp (Yamaha THR 10 - see separate thread), it came with Cubase AI6, which I assume is the latest low-end version of their software.

Even though it supposedly requires Win7, I was able to install it into XP with no problems (so far). It's a pretty nice setup for as little work as I've done with it in less than a week, and I'm already thinking about upgrading to the next level (Cubase Elements) for £39.99. Anybody else have any experience with Cubase?

I started off back in the 80's with 1/4" tape, bought one of the first cassette home multitracks (the TEAC 144), then went digital with a Pocketstudio 5, followed by the 788. I've used Audicity, and tried to load Pro Tools, but never had a PC powerful enough to do much with it. So far Cubase has been my most extensive foray into PC tracking.
Mike - Militant Left-hander
mcarp555
Pub Rockstar

Re: Recording/Cubase

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 pm

I have just the basic's with recording gear nothing flash, bit like my playing :lol:
Just use a Line6 Guitar Port/Gearbox & Riffworks has some cool drum patterns to play along with.
Since my neighbours moved out a week ago I have been crankin' the "Tweaker" up into the sweet spot, man I love that amp.
I have old version Cubase LE4 but did not like it & a few other guys I have spoken to said the same & they are smarter than me when it comes to recording, sounds like your new version is a lot nicer.
I like Audacity free it's basic & easy to get around, nice 'n' simple for my simple mind. 8-)
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Postby Neal » Sun May 27, 2012 8:49 am

Most of the time when I record it's just straight to the video recording software :lol: I use Reaper for everything else.
Neal
Site Admin

Postby mcarp555 » Sun May 27, 2012 11:48 am

The next thing I need to figure out is setting up drum tracks. My 4-track has a built in drum pattern machine that I can operate in my sleep, but it might be time to move up to something more intricate. My problem is that I hate the idea of having to tap out kick/snare beats, etc. I'd much rather have preset patterns I can just set in place.
Mike - Militant Left-hander
mcarp555
Pub Rockstar

Postby Neal » Sun May 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Chimpspanner has laying down drum tracks licked :shock:

Neal
Site Admin

Postby McBoogle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Holy crap that's awesome! :shock:
McBoogle