View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New MONSTER pick day! 
Site Admin

Post New MONSTER pick day!
I treated myself to one of these bad boys from Hufschmid Guitars for Xmas. This is a Black Gem pick, made of Patrick's secret PHD material and is 10mm thick!

They're very pricey for a pick as they are handmade, just Patrick, a lump of PHD and a belt sander. But wow, I love it! Surprisingly easy to use and has quite a few benefits over a standard pick.

I'll have a review next year at some point after I've had time to play it in.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reckless Roadie

Post Re: New MONSTER pick day!
:shock: i cant wait to read the review on this neal. i gotta say it looks awkward , i could just see it catching on the strings on an up pick, i'm pretty clumsey at the best of times :) so i look forward to hear what the results are on this. i love it when new and different things come out tho, keeps things interesting

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:31 pm
Pub Rockstar

That looks awesome Neal, I checked out the website, I think that is $20-$25 Australian for each pick?
But they don't wear out? Interesting :twisted:

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:16 am
Site Admin

craig wrote:
:shock: i cant wait to read the review on this neal. i gotta say it looks awkward , i could just see it catching on the strings on an up pick, i'm pretty clumsey at the best of times :) so i look forward to hear what the results are on this. i love it when new and different things come out tho, keeps things interesting

The black pick on the right is one of Patrick's 'normal' sized PHD picks. There's no flex in that one ;) Whatever the material is, it's hard as nails. I played the big one all last night and you really couldn't tell, there's no wear whatsoever. I'll report back in a week or two :twisted:

It will absolutely bang into the other strings unless you're careful. This is one of the benefits - it forces you to be more efficient.

Memory Lane Jr wrote:
That looks awesome Neal, I checked out the website, I think that is $20-$25 Australian for each pick?
But they don't wear out? Interesting :twisted:

Including shipping from Switzerland to the UK it cost me nearly £25, so it's definitely a bit of an extravagance. But then again, it's handmade, is 3 picks in one, and as I've mentioned above, after day one there is zero wear.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Hadcore Fan

That pick is an absolute beast! Looks similar to one of the Onyx V-Picks. I've got one of the 5.85mm ones but to be honest I've not fully warmed to it.....bit too thick. I kept hearing everyone rave about V-Picks and thought I'd try them myself and now have a number of them. The Snakes and Dimensions are excellent and my main picks now (The Snakes have three identical points so like you mention with yours it's three picks in one). They are $9.99 but just don't show any sign of wear at all. You just have to make sure you don't loose them and they are a bugger to find!! Here's a pic of them

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/dscf4558j.jpg/][IMG=http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7313/dscf4558j.jpg][/IMG][/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:28 pm
Site Admin

Check it out, Patrick has already been to work improving on the design of the Black Gem. This one is more streamlined, apparently has better grip and eliminates the chirping noise (a la V-Picks). Can't really afford another £25 pick, but I'll definitely try one if mine ever wears out.

I've been playing it every day for what, a week now? ZERO wear! Incredible :shock:

Here's the new design. It features a luminlay glow in the dark inlay to make it easy to find if you drop it.

Also a video of one being made - looks dangerous!

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pub Rockstar

Neal wrote:
Check it out, Patrick has already been to work improving on the design of the Black Gem. This one is more streamlined, apparently has better grip and eliminates the chirping noise (a la V-Picks). Can't really afford another £25 pick, but I'll definitely try one if mine ever wears out.

I've been playing it every day for what, a week now? ZERO wear! Incredible :shock:

Here's the new design. It features a luminlay glow in the dark inlay to make it easy to find if you drop it.

Also a video of one being made - looks dangerous!

Jeez mate I just checked that vid, W.H.S. must love that guy, i wonder how much skin he loses to each pick.
All best for New Year :lol:

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]