My Latest Youtube Video "In my Youth" original song

Share any of your songs or videos, show off your new band website, tell us about your upcoming gigs!

My Latest Youtube Video "In my Youth" original song

Postby SouthpawGuitarman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi lefties. Sorry to have been away for so long but I was in a bit of a creative rut for some months. Anyway, I purchased a copy of Guitarpro 6 along with a YouRock MIDI guitar and have been having all kinds of creative ideas these days. This melody came to me in a dream. Hope you all love it. :D

SouthpawGuitarman
Hadcore Fan

Re: My Latest Youtube Video "In my Youth" original song

Postby Neal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Excellent work mate, the sound is improved a lot since I last your your videos! Beautiful song, I subbed :)

I'm very interested in these You Rock guitars. I saw Dan Mumm playing one a few months ago and very very nearly bought one. Would be great if you could share your thoughts, or post a mini review! From what I understand there is still no left handed model? How do you find playing it left handed? Is it restricting to have all the controls on the bottom, or the bar in the wrong place?
Neal
Site Admin

Postby SouthpawGuitarman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Neal wrote:Excellent work mate, the sound is improved a lot since I last your your videos! Beautiful song, I subbed :)

I'm very interested in these You Rock guitars. I saw Dan Mumm playing one a few months ago and very very nearly bought one. Would be great if you could share your thoughts, or post a mini review! From what I understand there is still no left handed model? How do you find playing it left handed? Is it restricting to have all the controls on the bottom, or the bar in the wrong place?

Hi Neal. Thanks for the sub. I subbed back of course.

Concerning the Yourock guitar, there is no left handed model HOWEVER, the latest firmware has a setting to convert the playing to left handed. So, you can change to left handed mode and play it upside down. The only downside is the wammy bar is at the top as are the inputes for the USB, mic, headphones and amp.

I actually had to send mine back as it had sokme probs out of the box. It got kind of weird after a few days when it would power off/on non stop and had to remove / re-seat the batteries to correct. Also, the console indicators on the buitl in control panel were freaking out. I confirmed with Tech Support what it was doing was not normal. They sent me a new one and it's on it's way so I'll let you know how that turns out.

The concept is wonderful. It's completely MIDI compatible with a MIDI in / out. Guitar Pro has no problem detecting it. As I have learned, the problem seems more to be with the software itself. For example, I might play a riff and the tempo or timing might be off but that's easily correctable. It's also interesting seeing the finger assignments Guitar Pro assigns on the tablature. Most of the time it's right but sometimes not.

The guitar has 20 guitar voices built in along with 50 + synthesizer voices. You can then mix and match 1 of the guitar voices to for example an oboe or flute or organ and get some really cool sounds.

It also has built in music tracks (many) with everithing from funk, to hard rock to hip hop. You can then play along with the tracks and record to the YouRock guitar if you like.

Now this is cool, There is a button on the onboard control panel called "You Rock" when you press it, it prevents you from playing a bad note while playing one of the trackis. Essentially, as long as you can keep time, just about anyone sounds great.

Never needs tuning, the fret board neck are actually rubber sensors. The neck can be disconnected and you can literrally fit both the main body and neck in a small carry on bag. So, it's great for traveling.

The strings are actually high tention and can be adjusted.by loosening the screws at the base.

Compatible with Guitar Hero in Xbox and other platforms but I'm not into that.

As you can see, I love it to death. I just hope my replacement is free of defects.
SouthpawGuitarman
Hadcore Fan

Postby Kieran89 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 pm

First off, really nice song southpawguitarman - can I call you SGM for short? :lol: I also love the artwork you used, is it also your creation?

Now! This you rock guitar I'm a little confused about what it does exactly. I'm still a total guitar noob, so maybe you could explain the purpose of it to me? For example, how was it useful in making that track?
Kieran89
Reckless Roadie

Postby SouthpawGuitarman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi Kieran89. Firstly, I'm drunk, secondly I'm stoned. Will tomorrow be OK for a deatailed response?
SouthpawGuitarman
Hadcore Fan

Postby Neal » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:22 am

Is it just me or would anyone else rather hear the drunk/stoned version of his explanation :lol: I got some weird comments on YouTube from you last night haha.
Neal
Site Admin

Postby SouthpawGuitarman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Neal wrote:Is it just me or would anyone else rather hear the drunk/stoned version of his explanation :lol: I got some weird comments on YouTube from you last night haha.

Neil, I'd love to hear those comments. Im seriously depressed as I submitted 3 of my originals including "In my Youth" to APM Music for licensing on shows like Glee, House and Lost. I just received notification that all 3 were rejected. There goes my opportunity to collect royalties and move to the tropics to bang young women.
SouthpawGuitarman
Hadcore Fan

Postby Neal » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Well you left this one on my channel "Stud..I'm listening." And on one of my videos "Fuck en "A" GREAT!!!" :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about your tracks getting turned down. Still, onwards and upwards right? ;)
Neal
Site Admin

Postby SouthpawGuitarman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Neal wrote:Well you left this one on my channel "Stud..I'm listening." And on one of my videos "Fuck en "A" GREAT!!!" :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about your tracks getting turned down. Still, onwards and upwards right? ;)

Ha Ha, it's scary that I don't remember that but I'm sure your channel doesn't lie.

I've actuallly just finished writing another song that I think is pretty good. I've been told it sounds like the kind of music from the Final Fantasy vid games.

Concerning APM turning down the tracks, once my song registrations are completed in ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers) in the next couple of days, I will re-submit them directly to APM Music Publishing instead of going through Reverbnation.com. That's who the rejection letters came from so I really have no idea if anyone from APM actually listened to them.

I'll let you know once I've uploaded my latest. Cheers
SouthpawGuitarman
Hadcore Fan

Postby SouthpawGuitarman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Kieran89 wrote:First off, really nice song southpawguitarman - can I call you SGM for short? :lol: I also love the artwork you used, is it also your creation?

Now! This you rock guitar I'm a little confused about what it does exactly. I'm still a total guitar noob, so maybe you could explain the purpose of it to me? For example, how was it useful in making that track?

Hi Kieran, I haven't forgotten about you. Thanks for the compliment on my original song. The background image is not mine but if you like it, I use it as the background wallpapaper on my Youtube channel so if you're using a PC, right click and "Save background as" from the right click menu.

Link to my Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/southpawguitarman

It's a copy of a Salvador Dali. Salvador Dali a Spanish artist created a work of art called "The Persistence of Time" Intead of melting soft guitars it had melting/soft watches. So, some clever person decided to reproduce this with guitars. I rather like it myself.

OK so what exactly does a MIDI guitar do? Understand thad the MIDI format is the preferred format for musicians due to the ability to change voices (instruments), change keys, tempos add / remove tracks without having to redo the entire song from scratch. This is the limitation of recording in a DAW (digital audio workstation). Also up until very recently, most MIDI devices were keyboards so if you did not know how to play keyboards you were out of luck. There have been MIDI interfaces for guitar but they never really worked right. The biggest drawbacks were the latency from when you played a note to geting a sound and the fact that you could only capture 1 note at a time so if you plucked 2 or more strings to generate a chord, the MIDI software would not pick it up.

In my case, I use Guitar Pro 6. I you're in the MAC world, you've probably heard of Garage Band. Both software programs support MIDI devices. So instead of me having to manually input each note in the tablature editing software with my mouse, I can simply connect my MIDI guitar a play it. I also encouage you to check out this link from You Rock. Let me know if you have other questions.

http://yourockguitar.com/

Link to their FAQ

http://yourockguitar.com/forum/index.ph ... 24#msg1624
SouthpawGuitarman
Hadcore Fan

Next

Return to Live Lounge