View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Guitarmasterclass 
Pub Rockstar

Post Guitarmasterclass
Not sure if I have mentioned this before but if you are looking for some online lessons Guitarmasterclass have a lot of great material.
Fair bit of free stuff including lick of the day or you can subscribe for more.
Some great teachers too, one of my favs is Muris Varajic...
From country through to metal something for all.
Oh I better add I have nothing to do with the website just one of a few I like to look for interesting new stuff on :D
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:09 am
Pub Rockstar

Post Re: Guitarmasterclass
Thanks MLJ for pointing out this website. I haven't been perusing the web as of late regarding instructional guitar websites, but it's truly amazing at the quantity and quality of these websites available to the average "Joe" guitar player. I sure wish I'd had all these options as kid. I was one of the earliest record scratchers long before HIP HOP DJ's. LOL I haven't even visited the http://www.justinguitar.com or http://www.vanderbilly.com/ websites for which I'm a member. I've got numerous Lick Library, Doug Seven, Hot Licks, and other guitar instructional stuff (some of which still has to be viewed). I'm always open to new guitar websites however.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:45 am
Pub Rockstar

Southpaw Sam wrote:
Thanks MLJ for pointing out this website. I haven't been perusing the web as of late regarding instructional guitar websites, but it's truly amazing at the quantity and quality of these websites available to the average "Joe" guitar player. I sure wish I'd had all these options as kid. I was one of the earliest record scratchers long before HIP HOP DJ's. LOL I haven't even visited the http://www.justinguitar.com or http://www.vanderbilly.com/ websites for which I'm a member. I've got numerous Lick Library, Doug Seven, Hot Licks, and other guitar instructional stuff (some of which still has to be viewed). I'm always open to new guitar websites however.

Hey Southpaw you are dead right mate lots of great sites to get ideas from, first time for me to check out vanderbilly even, so thanks for that tip off.
I find my biggest problem is getting waylaid I start learning a new song & then I go off on another tangent.
To be honest I just like trying to come up with my own riffs rather than learning others complete songs, just lately I have been into a Hendrix phase again......I give up on trying to be a Guthrie Govan, I think I will tip off this planet before that happens :lol:

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:38 am
Pub Rockstar

Memory Lane Jr wrote:
Southpaw Sam wrote:

Hey Southpaw you are dead right mate lots of great sites to get ideas from, first time for me to check out vanderbilly even, so thanks for that tip off.
I find my biggest problem is getting waylaid I start learning a new song & then I go off on another tangent.
To be honest I just like trying to come up with my own riffs rather than learning others complete songs, just lately I have been into a Hendrix phase again......I give up on trying to be a Guthrie Govan, I think I will tip off this planet before that happens :lol:

Hey buddy that's the problem with the world we live in today (too many distractions). I myself find it hard to "sit still", but knowing this about myself I still make it work for me. It might take me a little longer, but when I get across the finish line it's well deserved. You're most welcome about Vanderbilly, and what's so cool is that members can be contributors as well, and uplink their videos so that others can learn and also have the option of slowing the videos down. My issues were not learning chord structures which are all important. There is a world full of lead players out there, but when you see a guy like Tuck Andress on a Hot Licks video you see just how woefully inadequate your own rhythm and chording skills are. I agree also that a person has to really know themselves as a musician to understand what are reasonable expectations of yourself. However if you can dream it and believe it and be willing to sacrifice, nothing is too hard to accomplish.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:41 pm
Pub Rockstar

Yes the major problem stopping me from fulfilling my dream of playing like Guthrie etc is "TIME".
I seem to have less of that these days... I noticed a big difference in my skills when I had a fair bit of spare time to practise..
I was putting in a few hours everyday ( which is probably still not enough ) a year ago, now I am lucky if I practise a few times a week :cry:
Those top players put in a huge amount of playing time in practise & gigs, guitar is their way of life...
Have to go to work worse luck :lol:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 am
Pub Rockstar

I know what you're saying about the time issue. As you get older with more responsibilities, there seems to be less of it. I've heard it said that if a person can devote 15-30 minutes of practice a day that positive results can be seen over time (as you just mentioned). More importantly is how those 15-30 minutes are used structurally. Some people are good about the first part, but they're not sure about what they should be practicing from one day to the next to progress with noticeable results. I think a large proportion of guitar players fall into the, What is an appropriate and beneficial "practice structure" for me category.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 am
Hadcore Fan

I couldn't ever do a class online. I need a face to face teacher to get me into the "oh, shi-- I need to practice this week" mindset. I don't really have this problem with drawing, just for music. :/

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm
Pub Rockstar

nsanelilmunky wrote:
I couldn't ever do a class online. I need a face to face teacher to get me into the "oh, shi-- I need to practice this week" mindset. I don't really have this problem with drawing, just for music. :/

In that setting, I'd want to record the instructional session and save it for posterity because most people's memories aren't that sharp, that is unless they possess a photographic memory.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:28 pm
Pub Rockstar

When I first ran across the "Doug Seven" website I became very interested and purchased all his videos (about $200 worth). Even though Doug is primarily a tele "chicken picker" his instructional videos are second to none. Doug covers rock, blues, and jazz as well. What impressed me so much was his list of students that had their performances uplinked to YouTube video. I believe that now those (student) video performances are listed on the "Doug Seven" website. Never had I seen so many students that posted their videos as taught by one particular guitar instructor on the web.

This little gal is one of my faves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUGRPQ350uI

Just look up "Laura Cox" on You Tube, ANYONE would be impressed with her chops courtesy of Doug Seven.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 pm
Band Manager

Southpaw Sam wrote:
it's truly amazing at the quantity and quality of these websites available to the average "Joe" guitar player. I sure wish I'd had all these options as kid.

That's true. But what you guys say about time is true too. I unfortunately don't have the time to go through all these videos, though I really, really want to, but at the end of the day, after work..it gets tough. In fact, I still haven't yet watched ALL the videos in the singing course I won right here on LeftyFretz (thank you again LeftyFretz and Ken Tamplin Academy :) ) and that was 2 years ago! :oops:

Southpaw Sam wrote:
This little gal is one of my faves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUGRPQ350uI

Just look up "Laura Cox" on You Tube, ANYONE would be impressed with her chops courtesy of Doug Seven.

Sam/Gregg, I've been following Laura for years (even Liked her official Facebook page). It's just great how awesome her videos have got every passing year. Also, check out her cover of "Sweet Home Alabama".

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next