USPS For the Motherf$*@ing Win

Anything goes! Just keep it healthy!

USPS For the Motherf$*@ing Win

Postby Neal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:17 pm

As a few of you probably know, I ordered a new guitar from the States last month. It was shipped via USPS Priority Mail International which is allegedly a 6-10 day service.

According to the tracking it left the USA on January 26th. It then arrived in the UK TODAY. I just hope to hell it is still in once piece after it's journey into the unknown. I was in no rush for this guitar, but not having a clue where it was has been the most frustrating experience.

If you're importing something from the USA and value your sanity, never, ever use this service. It really is a case of you get what you paid for. I now have probably at least a further week to wait while UK customs processes it... :x
Neal
Site Admin

Re: USPS For the Motherf$*@ing Win

Postby Steve EF-15 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm coming to find myself trusting the tracking information I get from UPS, or FedEx to be far more reliable than that of the USPS.

I could tell you a story about a compound bow I ordered from a guy in Atlanta, Georgia.
Long story short, i checked the traing number every day for 10 days when it was enroute.
The one day it said returned undeliverable.... to my business address.

In my opinion USPS is slow, and their information is never up to date.
Yamaha Eterna EF-15
Fender Standard Telecaster
Les Paul clone built from a kit with upgrade to GFS Retro-tron pickups
Get back to where you want to belong!
Steve EF-15
Pub Rockstar

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:11 am

Took seven weeks to get a guitar from the States to Australia using USPS, never again.
If I don't see the guitar & play it I will not buy, had to much grief buying unseen guitars. :evil:
Nothing worse than waiting for that package to arrive, drives me nuts :D
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Postby AllroyPa » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:31 pm

I ship to my bud in OZ all the time through USPS, no problems. Your experience was an exception, not the norm.
AllroyPa
Reckless Roadie

Postby AllroyPa » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:32 pm

AllroyPa wrote:I ship to my bud in OZ all the time through USPS, no problems. Your experience was an exception, not the norm.
I would cost you guys a hell of alot more to use another service.
AllroyPa
Reckless Roadie

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:58 pm

AllroyPa wrote:I ship to my bud in OZ all the time through USPS, no problems. Your experience was an exception, not the norm.

That's fair enough mate & I have had smaller items come over via USPS in 7-10 days,so hopefully it was an exception. But I still think it is risky buying something like a guitar sight unseen, even new ones can have problems as I found out not once but twice & if you have to send it back from Oz to the States the postage has to be paid by me & thats $160. You have to remember the warranty is null & void even on a new guitar if you buy overseas. I actually complained to the manufacturer about my guitar & they told me the dealer broke a trade agreement by selling to me so it is my problem :evil: A US dealer is not supposed to sell to a customer in Oz as it takes business from the Oz distributor even though they did not bring lefties into this country, what the fu**. :!: :!:
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Postby Neal » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:44 pm

I've used USPS for guitars twice before and to be fair they both arrived in the UK near enough on time. But those were on the express service which from what I've read seems much more reliable. I've been doing a lot of reading, trying to find some answers, and there is nothing but contempt for the priority mail service. It seems like they actually lose very, very few packages but the service is just unreliable with next to useless tracking. I read somewhere that money is so tight that they stockpile international mail in order to save on flights. Apparently they're teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

Next time I'll pay the extra $50 for FedEx (if there is a next time :lol: ). It's worth it to me just to avoid the headaches. Every guitar I've had delivered by them has been smooth sailing.

The store had initiated a trace 2 weeks ago to find out what the hell was going on, so I'll be interested to hear what went wrong.
Neal
Site Admin

Postby Neal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Finally managed to pay the customs fees today after 3 days of trying, so fingers crossed tomorrow will be a NGD. Also, fingers crossed it will still be in one piece after all this...

If it doesn't come tomorrow I'll only have my ipad to take photos of it. bugger. Lending my camera out for 2 weeks on Thursday.
Neal
Site Admin

Postby Neal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 am

Well wouldn't you know it, they buggered it up and can't get it to me until tomorrow. I'm just going to go and (hopefully) pick it up myself from the depot this afternoon before I lose the camera.
Neal
Site Admin

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:20 am

Neal wrote:Well wouldn't you know it, they buggered it up and can't get it to me until tomorrow. I'm just going to go and (hopefully) pick it up myself from the depot this afternoon before I lose the camera.

I bet you are hangin' to get your hands on it too :D

Its like when I went to mail the Hagstrom to its new owner I took it to the post office all boxed up in the same package it came to me in & guess what :?: The lady at the counter says we can't accept this it is oversize, I said It came to me via Aust post a few months ago in the exact same package, after almost strangling her :lol: She took the guitar & said it may end up being returned to you, lucky for me after a few sleepless nights the guy sent a message saying the guitar arrived safely. Phew!!!!
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Next

Return to The Moshpit