Guitar Teachers

Anything goes! Just keep it healthy!

Guitar Teachers

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:58 am

Never been to a guitar teacher before, I am self taught with the help of numerous online courses etc but I noticed an advertisement in the paper for " Do you want to improve your guitar skills" Well I thought it could be a good thing I'm at a point where I want to move forward, so I rang the guy & he said come round his place the first lesson is free, ok nothing to lose, went round & had a chat then he says right play something for me & I said ok where's the amp, he says no play something unplugged on your Strat you don't need an amp for lessons, I said what! it will sound like crap, he said play some blues scales so I did & then he said can you play some Black Sabbath! power chords unfriggingplugged!!!!!!! I thought he was joking, I tried to play some Iron Man but it sounded shit, I was totally stressed. He says well you know your way round the fretboard but you need help with the way you hold the pick, you are not attacking the strings correctly, I said to be honest I find it rather difficult to play an electric unplugged. Anyway my free lesson was over & he gave me a sheet of tab with a little arpeggio pattern to work on my accuracy & note/tone quality, how the hell he could work out my tone quality from an unplugged lesson on an electric is beyond me. Oh yeh lessons are $60 per hour to be paid in advance in four or ten week lots!!!!!
Tell me am I being weird or do lessons on an electric guitar normally be given unplugged :?
It was a very odd experience. :lol:
Any thoughts on this :?:
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Re: Guitar Teachers

Postby Drubbing » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 am

There's probably a lot he can tell about your playing without being plugged in. Even so, you'd expect some better pointers from a teacher. I also wouldn't expect to play metal unplugged in order to find out something about where your ability is at.

Teachers are like any other tradie though. If you find you don't get on with, or their approach, you find another.
Drubbing
Band Manager

Postby Neal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 am

The last time I went to a guitar teacher we spent 30 minutes listening to Jeff Beck CDs. I didn't go back...

These days, if I were to do lessons I'd be looking at Skype lessons from known players. That way I could be sure of getting some quality tuition.
Neal
Site Admin

Postby Akshay » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm

The guy I learnt from doesn't allow anyone to bring an electric. You have to play stuff on acoustic compulsorily. 8-)
I'm planning to join classes by an "advanced" teacher soon (the best in the city). Should be good stuff! I'll let u know how that goes in a few weeks.

PS - Bdw, owing to my folks hating music, I always learn any song unplugged (on electric guitar), only plug it in when I think it's sounding right unplugged.
Akshay
Band Manager

Postby Steve EF-15 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Akshay wrote:The guy I learnt from doesn't allow anyone to bring an electric. You have to play stuff on acoustic compulsorily. 8-)
I'm planning to join classes by an "advanced" teacher soon (the best in the city). Should be good stuff! I'll let u know how that goes in a few weeks.

PS - Bdw, owing to my folks hating music, I always learn any song unplugged (on electric guitar), only plug it in when I think it's sounding right unplugged.

My little Marshall practice amp has a headphone jack. 8-)
Yamaha Eterna EF-15
Fender Standard Telecaster
Les Paul clone built from a kit with upgrade to GFS Retro-tron pickups
Get back to where you want to belong!
Steve EF-15
Pub Rockstar

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Akshay wrote:The guy I learnt from doesn't allow anyone to bring an electric. You have to play stuff on acoustic compulsorily. 8-)

Yeh thats fair enough if you own an acoustic but I don't, and I think the guy should have told me on the phone prior to the lesson that it would be unplugged, especially with the Strat I took has fairly low action & is in need of a fret dress & unplugged buzz's on the lower strings, not a good look :lol:

And I think you will find when you start playing with an amp especially at louder club venues you will find the dynamics totally different from playing unplugged, it could hinder as much as help you. An electric is made to be used with an amp or headphones/pod etc.

Mate that is a bummer your parents don't like music :cry:
Akshay I have been meaning to ask you how the gig you were doing went :?:
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Postby Akshay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:48 am

Steve EF-15 wrote:My little Marshall practice amp has a headphone jack. 8-)

Mine too, guess I'm just too lazy to set up all the cables n amp every time :lol:

Memory Lane Jr wrote:Mate that is a bummer your parents don't like music :cry:
Akshay I have been meaning to ask you how the gig you were doing went :?:

Yeah that just makes it more... "rebellious".. :lol:
No gig as yet MLJ, busy getting the band together to practice. :? :roll:
Akshay
Band Manager

Return to The Moshpit