New to the game

New to the site? Say hello and tell us a little bit about you...

New to the game

Postby bubbs16 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 am

Hi guys nice to know there are other lefties out there haa. I am in the market for my first guitar. I have been to some shops and im def sticking to left handed. I would really like a acoustic elec or I guess just acoustic. What are thoughts with solid spruce vs laminated. It seems everytime I
find a nice acoustic it is laminate . The model I like to play are takamine. Theres something about them I just dig. Takamine eg340clh is one I like but its laminate top. Also thoughts on yamaha fg720? What are some thoughts? Thanks, Tim
bubbs16
New Fan

Re: New to the game

Postby Neal » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:48 am

In general a solid top will sound better than a laminate, but obviously there are exceptions to the rule - a good guitar is a good guitar. I've had plenty of laminate guitars which sounded great to my ears.

Unless it's something you plan to play for the rest of your guitar playing career I'd say it doesn't really matter. Try the guitar, if you dig it buy it. You can always hone your skills and then buy something more appropriate to what you need later on when your style has matured and you know exactly what you need.

Less time worrying about the small details, more time playing! :D
Neal
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself