Seymour Duncan JB

Discuss lefty guitars and basses

Seymour Duncan JB

Postby Akshay » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:24 am

Hey guys, I was planning to change the bridge pickup on my guitar next month (after the paycheck comes in! :P), and I've been thinking about getting a Seymour Duncan JB. Could you guys let me know your views on it? I have a few questions too -
1. I REALLY hate the sound I currently get from my bridge pickup, in fact I avoid using it as much as I can (I've been playing a lot of Slash stuff :P ). Apart from being thin, it is too damn shrill and nasal-sounding! I've read that the JB sounds too shrill n bright at times too. It wouldn't make sense getting another pickup that sounds similar right?
2. I'm not looking forward to changing my neck pickup, I'm going to keep the stock one. I really like the sound I get from it, and don't want to fix what's not broken. Is changing just one pickup recommended?

Bdw, this is my guitar -
http://gregbennettguitars.com/guitars/e ... es/av3-lh/
It's a Les Paul-style guitar with a mahogany body...

I don't really play a lot of heavy stuff, but I do like playing the occasional Metallica and Iron Maiden. So my second option is a Seymour Duncan Alnico-2 Pro..

PS - @Neal, the search on the forum works great, I was able to find your comments on the JB that you made last year :)
Last edited by Akshay on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akshay
Band Manager

Re: Seymour Duncan JB

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 am

[quote="Akshay"]Hey guys, I was planning to change the bridge pickup on my guitar next month (after the paycheck comes in! :P), and I've been thinking about getting a Seymour Duncan JB. Could you guys let me know your views on it? I have a few questions too -
1. I REALLY hate the sound I currently get from my bridge pickup, in fact I avoid using it as much as I can (I've been playing a lot of Slash stuff :P ). Apart from being thin, it is too damn shrill! I've read that the JB sounds too shrill n bright at times too. It wouldn't make sense getting another pickup that sounds similar right?
2. I'm not looking forward to changing my neck pickup, I'm going to keep the stock one. I really like the sound I get from it, and don't want to fix what's not broken. Is changing just one pickup recommended?

The bridge p/up on the Super Swede I just sold had a really nice thick syrupy tone apart from when you hit the coil split.
Slash uses the S/D Alnico-2 Pro.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/F ... uncan%20o/
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Postby Akshay » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks for the link Memory Lane Jr, did your Super Swede have a JB? Did it sound bad when you hit the coil split??
Yeah I know, he has his own custom pickups from Seymour Duncan.. :twisted:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... i_pro_s_1/
Akshay
Band Manager

Postby Neal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am

Akshay wrote:PS - @Neal, the search on the forum works great, I was able to find your comments on the JB that you made last year :)

What was I saying? :| I haven't owned a JB since I was at Uni, I used the JB/'59 combo in at least two guitars - was good! I had a JB Jr in my ORM1 a couple years back, it was not good :lol:

Have you tried the Pickup Picker from DiMarzio, or the Tone Wizard from Seymour Duncan?
Neal
Site Admin

Postby wonmad » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Akshay wrote:1. I REALLY hate the sound I currently get from my bridge pickup, in fact I avoid using it as much as I can (I've been playing a lot of Slash stuff :P ). Apart from being thin, it is too damn shrill and nasal-sounding! I've read that the JB sounds too shrill n bright at times too. It wouldn't make sense getting another pickup that sounds similar right?

1. I'm not sure how "shrill" your pickup sounds, but I've never had any problem with JB so far. I had my first JB installed in my $100 I believe JB was more expensive than my guitar :P plywood guitar 20 yrs ago. Now I have GMW custom built in 2001 which also has JB. I don't think JB 20 yrs ago and manufactured these days sound the same since SD must have corrected errors for a long time, but I found JB as very warm and prefer Duncan to DiMarzio or EMG for some reason. So JB is not shrill for me :D but if you're worried about the sound before installing, adding some good active circuit would be a good idea so its tone can change in wider range than passive. Duncan sells some preamp eq circuits as well as other companies.

2. Yeah, sometimes it can cause some problem. some of PUs have different level of output from other PUs, so the level difference between Neck and Bridge PUs could be prominent. Normally it can be fixed by adding a proper resistance to the stronger one, but there's some case that doesn't work. I have a Fender copy which has a Fender original for the neck and DiMarzio for the bridge. I originally wanted to install Bartolini on the bridge side, but level difference was so huge. My friend, a guitar tech, said it's just easier to install DiMarzio.

And by looking at your guitar from the link you provided, their PUs must be some mid range product. Even if you like the sound of your neck PU at this moment, JB's sound quality should stand out coampred to your stock PU.

if you feel it's a bit expensive to buy two Duncan, I recommend Tesla pickups. It's a relatively new Korean brand grown a lot for the past 10 yrs. They don't have a variety range of products like Duncan or DiMarzio, but some of their products sound almost as good as US brands. And they should be a little cheaper. Check the youtube for their sounds.

Good luck to your upgrade!
wonmad
Hadcore Fan

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 pm

No Akshay my Super Swede had standard p/ups & the coil split I did not really like as it did give the p/up a tinny sound, I am not sure why they fit those to a Les Paul style guitar, just for the different tonal option I guess, but if I want a Strat tone I would rather play a Strat.
I chop & change p/ups all the time in my MIM Strat & have found that a lot of the time you can't go by what might sound good on Y/tube etc it is down to the timber used in your guitar & your amp etc. It is really trial & error & if you do not like a certain p/up just sell it on ebay & try something else. If I was you I would look on ebay to buy a p/up you will save some money that way, I just brought another DiMarzio twin blade for my Strat & it was less than half the price of a new one, if I don't like it I will move it on & probably get back what I paid for it. Food for thought.
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Postby wonmad » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Memory Lane Jr wrote:No Akshay my Super Swede had standard p/ups & the coil split I did not really like as it did give the p/up a tinny sound, I am not sure why they fit those to a Les Paul style guitar, just for the different tonal option I guess, but if I want a Strat tone I would rather play a Strat.
I chop & change p/ups all the time in my MIM Strat & have found that a lot of the time you can't go by what might sound good on Y/tube etc it is down to the timber used in your guitar & your amp etc. It is really trial & error & if you do not like a certain p/up just sell it on ebay & try something else. If I was you I would look on ebay to buy a p/up you will save some money that way, I just brought another DiMarzio twin blade for my Strat & it was less than half the price of a new one, if I don't like it I will move it on & probably get back what I paid for it. Food for thought.

I'm not the only one who doesn't like coil split :) When I visited local guitar tech for replacing PUs for my Schecter A-7, he asked me several times if i really don't want coil split. I said I don't want it cause I would never use it on metal guitar. If I buy Tom Anderson or MusicMan BFR, i would want more option though.

And yeah you're right Memory Lane Jr. We cannot know real sound of guitar or pu by looking at Youtube videos. But the only info we have before buying were harmony central reviews about 10 yrs ago. Now we can check something out on youtube before we try. I think it's better than relying on text review for buying. Also Tesla is less known to some people yet. If you hear that some new Chinese guitar company is great, you might want to check it on youtube, right? :)

And I use REAL amps and effect less and less these days, I use PC and iPod touch for playing guitar instead. A lot of guitar sound on youtube are being recorded directly by pluging them into PC so it's better trusted as it is than Mic'ing to Amps.

But i agree with you that we don't know how it really sounds before the PU is installed on guitar and we play.
wonmad
Hadcore Fan

Postby Akshay » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks for the input guys..
@wonmad- Thanks for all the input, and welcome to the forum sir! :) I checked out Tesla, unfortunately, they are not available in my city/country, at least not easily. :? :evil:
@Neal - I checked the links, pretty neat, the first pickup SD suggested was... a JB!

@Memory Lane Jr - Ahh, the thing with India is...not a whole lot of people play the guitar, or at least use eBay for selling guitar-related stuff. A search for pickups on the Indian eBay usually gives results from stores that import pickups from the US n sell them at twice the price they should be :x

Comparing different sounds from DiMarzio n Seymour Duncan, I might go for a DiMarzio Norton or a Seymour Duncan JB! Will update in a few weeks, when I get one of them fitted! 8-)
Akshay
Band Manager

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:36 am

Akshay, Oh I see not much guitar action on ebay India what a bummer!!!!!
What about getting pickups mailed to India from USA would that work out for you??

*****************************************************************************************

wonmad I have put up a link to Tesla p/ups they sound interesting.
http://www.teslapickups.com/

I have also put up a link to Guitar Parts Online I came close to buying some Dragonfire p/ups to try, they seem to be getting good reviews especially for those prices. :o
http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/index. ... th=124_129

Are guitar prices pretty good in South Korea?
Memory Lane Jr
Pub Rockstar

Postby Akshay » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Akshay, Oh I see not much guitar action on ebay India what a bummer!!!!!
What about getting pickups mailed to India from USA would that work out for you??

No mate, it's not like we don't get pickups in stores here. It's just that I would get them far cheaper, brand new from a store, rather than from eBay! :? :o
Akshay
Band Manager

Next

Return to Guitar & Bass Chat