NGD Agile Septor 827

Discuss lefty guitars and basses

NGD Agile Septor 827

Postby Neal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Finally got my Agile today. Fantastic store/eBayer I bought it from restrung it with fresh strings, gave it a set-up and fret-dress AND included an extra set of strings - top marks!

The guitar is in near mint condition and seems to be very well made indeed, just one tiny ding on the headstock. I don't really like black guitars, but this is just an experiment so I couldn't afford to be picky. It's so rare to find an 8-string lefty on eBay.

I'm going to dig into it tonight and see what I can come up with, but here are some photos. Black, glossy, carve top - 3 things which make for a bloody difficult guitar to photo.. :lol:

Neal
Site Admin

Re: NGD Agile Septor 827

Postby wonmad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:18 am

Neal wrote:Finally got my Agile today. Fantastic store/eBayer I bought it from restrung it with fresh strings, gave it a set-up and fret-dress AND included an extra set of strings - top marks!

The guitar is in near mint condition and seems to be very well made indeed, just one tiny ding on the headstock. I don't really like black guitars, but this is just an experiment so I couldn't afford to be picky. It's so rare to find an 8-string lefty on eBay.

I'm going to dig into it tonight and see what I can come up with, but here are some photos. Black, glossy, carve top - 3 things which make for a bloody difficult guitar to photo.. :lol:

Congrats on your new toy! It looks fantastic. I know a factory that makes Agile in Korea and they make great custom guitars too. Maybe I'm not in the position to speak out the name of the company though :)
I heard that the stock passive pickup of Agile is not bad. There's a rumor says those are made by Tesla but I'm not sure.
I'll be waiting for your review of test run.
My learning curve is so gradual....
wonmad
Hadcore Fan

Postby Neal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 am

Well here are a few initial thoughts.

The Cepheus pickups are just okay, nothing special. I would definitely upgrade them given the chance. I'd describe them as 'muddy'.

The body is very lightweight, which results in it being very neck heavy, impossible to wear without the headstock taking a dive for the floor. I'm going to attempt to counterbalance it with some weights in the rear cavity.

The low F# string is a .74 which seems too floppy for my tastes, probably due to the extra long headstock :lol: I'll need to beef that up.

I don't think I could comfortably play anything larger than this, reaching the bottom string is just about at my limit.

Minor niggles aside i'm happy with this. I had a lot of fun messing around on it last night - certainly gave my fingers a good workout!
Neal
Site Admin

Postby wonmad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Neal wrote:Well here are a few initial thoughts.

The Cepheus pickups are just okay, nothing special. I would definitely upgrade them given the chance. I'd describe them as 'muddy'.

The body is very lightweight, which results in it being very neck heavy, impossible to wear without the headstock taking a dive for the floor. I'm going to attempt to counterbalance it with some weights in the rear cavity.

The low F# string is a .74 which seems too floppy for my tastes, probably due to the extra long headstock :lol: I'll need to beef that up.

I don't think I could comfortably play anything larger than this, reaching the bottom string is just about at my limit.

Minor niggles aside i'm happy with this. I had a lot of fun messing around on it last night - certainly gave my fingers a good workout!

thanks for the review, Neal!
Muddy means they are not any better than other OEM pickups maybe. So it's unbalanced? Due to the wider neck and dual rods maybe 8-)
F# should be a definitely a new world opening to me.
My learning curve is so gradual....
wonmad
Hadcore Fan

Return to Guitar & Bass Chat