Agile Multi Scale Guitar

Discuss lefty guitars and basses

Agile Multi Scale Guitar

Postby wonmad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:57 am

I was looking at Rondo's custom page that Neal gave me, I found this guitar.

I've only seen multi scale (fan fretted) guitar from expensive custom brand like Conklin,
it's interesting to know Rondo has this one and even for lefty.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4987.html

Anyone has experience with multi scale? Does this fretting give more natural fingering or vice versa?
My learning curve is so gradual....
wonmad
Hadcore Fan

Re: Agile Multi Scale Guitar

Postby Neal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 am

It's more to do with keeping an even tension across all of the strings, as well as more accurate intonation. On my Septor the higher strings are very tight compared to the low B and F#. I could sort this out with different gauge strings, but a fan of say 25.5"-27" would do a similar job and carry more benefits. E.g the shorter scale length on the treble side makes for easier soloing.

I haven't tried it myself, but from what I hear anything under a 2" fan doesn't really feel much different to a normal fretboard. Plus it looks so damn cool :lol:
Neal
Site Admin

Postby mcarp555 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 am

I have to wonder if that gives better or worse tuning than a conventional guitar (which in itself is largely compromised).

Many many years ago I remember seeing something about guitars with detachable fingerboards. The frets for each string were staggered so you could get true intonation. The only drawback was you had to change fingerboards every time you changed key. Take off the "C" fingerboard and pop on the "G" one, etc.
Mike - Militant Left-hander
mcarp555
Pub Rockstar

Postby Neal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am

There's an Andy Mckee video on YouTube where he explains why he uses fanned frets. Explains it better than me, skip to 4:15

Neal
Site Admin

Postby mcarp555 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 am

Eh, maybe. I wonder if anyone's done an acoustic study to see if it really does intonate better, or if it's just the 'coolness' factor. I wouldn't think the scale length would be large enough to have an impact.

Good video on how to engage the audience with patter while changing a string. Where's the tech when you need him?
Mike - Militant Left-hander
mcarp555
Pub Rockstar

Return to Guitar & Bass Chat