View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Rookie fun.You advanced guys won't be impressed... 
Site Admin

Post Re: Rookie fun.You advanced guys won't be impressed...
Is there not a level adjustment in your webcam software? Last time I used my webcam was to record some acoustic years ago, sounded awful :lol:

If you want an affordable mic I can recommend the Blue Yeti USB. Or you can go direct and use PodFarm or similar.

Sounds pretty good though Steve, do you transcribe these yourself? The only thing I would say is to work on your muting a little, you've got a few open strings ringing through sometimes when you lift your fingers.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pub Rockstar

Neal wrote:
Is there not a level adjustment in your webcam software? Last time I used my webcam was to record some acoustic years ago, sounded awful :lol:

I haven't noticed. I might have to dig a little deeper to find that.
Quote:
If you want an affordable mic I can recommend the Blue Yeti USB. Or you can go direct and use PodFarm or similar.

I'm considering a better set up because I do like making the videos. One thing they do for me is to give me a point a refference for my progress. I've got some early ones that nobody will ever see. :oops:
Quote:
Sounds pretty good though Steve, do you transcribe these yourself? The only thing I would say is to work on your muting a little, you've got a few open strings ringing through sometimes when you lift your fingers.

Thanks. I'll work on that. If I were taking private lessons I'm sure I'd have heard that already, but since I'm working from books I need to rely on the constructive suggestions of those who can make them.

As for transcribing Hey Jude, way back when with my first go with the guitar I pretty much sounded it out from my knowledge of the song without even playing the recording and it sounded pretty good, but it was in the wrong key.
These days I have a Beatles song book, and some other sheet music, and I actually know what notes are where, so when I found the right key i was able to put it together pretty quickly becuase I knew how many steps apart the notes were from my earlier version. I had the same deal happen with Nowhere Man, and the correct key makes it much more difficult to play. That was the first song I've learned where I had to change my hand position a little to reach all the notes.

Get back to where you want to belong!

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:27 pm
Pub Rockstar

Hey Steve, Like Neal says it might be worth investing in an interface of some sort for your recording, I found it a pain to mic my amp as being of the tube variety it needed to be at a loudish volume to get the desired tone, not good at night the neighbours would probably axe murder me. :lol: I have a basic setup for my computer just a Line6 Guitar Port & Gearbox, Riffworks, into Audacity, pretty cheap to buy (Audacity free ) & I can play at all times of the night & bloody good fun trying out all of the different fx, cab's, mic position's etc. I reckon it would suit you, much better quality recordings. I got my GuitarPort complete with software brand new in box for $39 Aus. Bargain!!!!!! :twisted:
Heres a few links.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODStuGX/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodStuUX1/
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Avid-Pro-To ... 1826131.gc

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am
Pub Rockstar

Memory Lane Jr wrote:
Hey Steve, Like Neal says it might be worth investing in an interface of some sort for your recording, I found it a pain to mic my amp as being of the tube variety it needed to be at a loudish volume to get the desired tone, not good at night the neighbours would probably axe murder me. :lol: I have a basic setup for my computer just a Line6 Guitar Port & Gearbox, Riffworks, into Audacity, pretty cheap to buy (Audacity free ) & I can play at all times of the night & bloody good fun trying out all of the different fx, cab's, mic position's etc. I reckon it would suit you, much better quality recordings. I got my GuitarPort complete with software brand new in box for $39 Aus. Bargain!!!!!! :twisted:
Heres a few links.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODStuGX/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodStuUX1/
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Avid-Pro-To ... 1826131.gc

I will certainly check that out. This little webcam has been OK to this point, but it's time to get a proper set up that geared specifically for what I'm trying to do.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:29 pm
Pub Rockstar

No settings for record levels with the webcam.
I was able to squeeze som volume out of it by moving the amp right next to the camera though.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3