Finding making recordings to be a useful tool.

Discuss lefty guitars and basses

Re: Finding making recordings to be a useful tool.

Postby mcarp555 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 am

I'm with MLJ - video is just another layer of complexity that I don't want to bother futzing with. By the time I spend 'X' amount of time writing, playing, recording and mixing a song, the last thing I need to do is add my ugly mug. If that's your cup of tea, knock yourself out, but I consider myself a musician, not a video star.

And I don't give a monkey's about how many "plays" I get - I do it for me, not the countless trolls out there.

I would advise you not to worry about video at this point. Concentrate more on playing and audio recording. Better a decent-sounding recording rather than a crappy video. But that's just me. I'm from a generation before video was so all-consuming. I even remember a time before phones had cameras built-in!
Mike - Militant Left-hander
mcarp555
Pub Rockstar

Postby Akshay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

Neal wrote:If anyone's interested, here's the way I make videos.

I was just going to ask you which camera and video-editing software you use.. :P

Really, it depends on what you're putting up the videos for. If the videos are ONLY for yourself, to track your playing skills, then ugly mug == not required :D

But if you want to share your music or covers with the world, it definitely helps to have your face, or some particular stuff that people will identify with... I like the "Appearance is Everything" point in this article...
http://leftyfretz.com/youtube-subscriber-tips-musician-guitar/

BDW, it's a different ball-game altogether for female players out there... :twisted:
Akshay
Band Manager

Postby Neal » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 am

mcarp555 wrote:Boo to video

Yup, fair point :)

Akshay wrote:BDW, it's a different ball-game altogether for female players out there... :twisted:

It's not fair is it :lol: I use a Nikon D5100 btw, gotta have the swivel screen!

I think a big pro to getting into video as soon as possible is that it opens up a potential new source of income for you. It's entirely possible to make a living from YouTube if you put effort into your videos, at the very least it shouldn't be too hard to get to the point of covering beer money every month :P Obviously you'll have to be more creative than doing a few covers on your webcam, but you know, babysteps :lol:
Neal
Site Admin

Postby mcarp555 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 pm

It's strange times; when I was in my 20's, record companies still ruled, and if you weren't on a label, you had no chance. Some of the greatest musicians I've ever known had day jobs, landscaping for the city, or selling in shops during the day.

Now of course, it's possible to be a bone fide star without a label in sight. The actual odds of being rich & famous, never mind making a living from it, are probably as remote as ever, but the idea of record companies creating stars may one day be seen as a mere blip in the history of people making music.

But as a child of those distant days, I can't get my head around the need to "do" video. I don't own a mobile phone, or even a camcorder. I have a netbook with a built-in webcam, but it's just a toy to me. Back then, the video was in your head. Whatever you visualize when you listen to this is probably better than anything I could try to film.
mcarp555
Pub Rockstar

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Neal wrote:But, but, you can do all that with video too :P

I always made videos to have a bit of a personal diary to look back on. I got into YouTube pretty early, so I can look back and see all my old guitars, my old apartment, old friends etc.. By putting it on YouTube you're also potentially opening up your music to far more people than if you were to upload it to soundclick or the like. Some of my old videos have over 100'000 views, doubt I would have even got 1% of that on Soundclick :lol: People can also see how you play a song and offer useful critiques.

If anyone's interested, here's the way I make videos.

I have my DSLR set up on a tripod in front of me and my backing track set up in Premiere Pro ready to go. I then record the video on my camera whilst simultaneously recording the guitar straight to Premiere via PodFarm. After all is said and done I just have to bring across the video onto the PC, disable its audio channel and sync up video and PodFarm audio. Then it's just a case of tweaking the video and audio.

Sounds like a lot of effort, but it really isn't. Try filming with a green screen - now that's a lot of effort!! Did it once, never again :lol:

Hey Neal don't get me wrong mate I realize you need to do video recording & I am not knocking it, but to get quality like you have would cost a lot more for someone like Steve to setup than using free stuff like Audacity & the like, I just think he would get a lot more out of recording that way without spending a lot of his hard earned & get a nicer sound to post his work to the forum. He can step up to video at a later date if he wants to be on Youtube.
To be honest I would not post on Y/tube until I had something that would blow peoples socks off & if I was a young bloke just starting out on guitar that is what I would be working towards. 8-)

Memory Lane Jr
Club Rockstar

Postby Steve EF-15 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 pm

The way I'm doing it is just easy for me. I'm not too concerned sound quality right now above just being able to hear what I'm doing. The webcam is just cheap, and easy, and that's all there is to it.
At some point in the future I may set up an better way to go with this, but the priority right now is just to practice, and motivate myself with these little playbacks.
What I use these for is mainly to compare how I used to struggle just to get through something easy without a mistake, and then compare that to playing the same things now.
For a beginner like me that's an encouraging excercise.
I put them on youtube so that I have them stored somewhere else other than just my computer's HDD. Once there, I share them with a few folks who might provide some much appreciated constructive feedback.
Yamaha Eterna EF-15
Fender Standard Telecaster
Les Paul clone built from a kit with upgrade to GFS Retro-tron pickups
Get back to where you want to belong!
Steve EF-15
Pub Rockstar

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 am

mcarp555 wrote:It's strange times; when I was in my 20's, record companies still ruled, and if you weren't on a label, you had no chance. Some of the greatest musicians I've ever known had day jobs, landscaping for the city, or selling in shops during the day.

Now of course, it's possible to be a bone fide star without a label in sight. The actual odds of being rich & famous, never mind making a living from it, are probably as remote as ever, but the idea of record companies creating stars may one day be seen as a mere blip in the history of people making music.

But as a child of those distant days, I can't get my head around the need to "do" video. I don't own a mobile phone, or even a camcorder. I have a netbook with a built-in webcam, but it's just a toy to me. Back then, the video was in your head. Whatever you visualize when you listen to this is probably better than anything I could try to film.

I tips me lid to ya mate, what a great toe tapper & I love these lyrics. 8-)

Now I'm rowing through the ocean
in a boat that's made of soap
When it comes out in the wash
will I return with just a rope?
Memory Lane Jr
Club Rockstar

Postby mcarp555 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 am

Ah, now you owe me $ .25 in royalties! ;)
Last edited by mcarp555 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcarp555
Pub Rockstar

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 am

Steve EF-15 wrote:The way I'm doing it is just easy for me. I'm not too concerned sound quality right now above just being able to hear what I'm doing. The webcam is just cheap, and easy, and that's all there is to it.
At some point in the future I may set up an better way to go with this, but the priority right now is just to practice, and motivate myself with these little playbacks.
What I use these for is mainly to compare how I used to struggle just to get through something easy without a mistake, and then compare that to playing the same things now.
For a beginner like me that's an encouraging excercise.
I put them on youtube so that I have them stored somewhere else other than just my computer's HDD. Once there, I share them with a few folks who might provide some much appreciated constructive feedback.

More power to you Steve, keep doing what you are doing mate, you seem to be serious about your learning strategy 8-)
It's a funny old world we all have our different ways of approaching things, as an example I had to have the sound right before I started learning to play, I brought & sold three amps before I settled on that tone I had in my head.
I still think you are doing your playing an injustice with that webcam though ( sorry mate I can't help myself :lol: )
That's it I will shut up now & stop annoying everyone :twisted:
Memory Lane Jr
Club Rockstar

Postby Memory Lane Jr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 am

mcarp555 wrote:Ah, now you owe me $ .25 in royalties! ;)

Ha-Ha send me the bill mate I will gladly pay, but I will need a tax invoice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Memory Lane Jr
Club Rockstar

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar & Bass Chat