Boss GT-8

Chat about amps, effects, cables, software and other types of gear

Boss GT-8

Postby Akshay » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 am

Hey guys, I'm being offered the Boss GT-8 for 7500/- INR, which is basically 170 US dollars. Is it a good deal? How is the processor in itself? Being relatively new to electric guitars in general (compared to you guys! :) )... this is my first multi-effects processor, any suggestions? Lastly, What stuff should I check for in a used processor? Need advice! Here's a link to the official site -
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... ductId=720
Akshay
Band Manager

Re: Boss GT-8

Postby Neal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:42 am

That sounds like a decent price Akshay. If you use the 'completed items' search on eBay you can see what others have sold for - here in the UK they seem to go for £130-£150 used.

I couldn't comment on the quality having never tried one. I used to have a Boss ME-50. I was a guitar noob when I owned it so I probably didn't use it right, but it was built like a tank!

As far as checking for things - make sure it works :P I think especially with the Boss products and their build quality there's not a lot to go wrong. Just whack on a patch, make sure it makes noise, check the cables don't crackle, expression pedal works cleanly etc..

I always end up back with Line6 - don't ask me why, my Toneport is a nightmare most of the time. They just announced a new HD version of the POD desktop unit at MusikMesse which I reckon will be my next multi-fx. Either that or the POD HD500.
Neal
Site Admin

Postby Kieran89 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Hoho, that thing looks way too complicated for my simple brain! Look at all the buttons and knobs!! :shock:

You are a brave man haha, hope it comes with a manual :lol:
Kieran89
Reckless Roadie

Postby Akshay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:23 pm

lol Neal thanks I'll do the standard checks :D I'm a noob right now, when it comes to these effects!

Yup Kieran, I've already downloaded the manual even though I've not yet bought it! ;) From what I've read about it, it takes some time to get the most of it, but it offers a wide variety of sounds once you know how to get em out from it.
Akshay
Band Manager

Postby Neal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 am

What are you running at the moment anyway? Just guitar and amp?
Neal
Site Admin

Postby Akshay » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:10 am

lol yup, Just guitar and my Laney amp... It's "crunch" mode is pretty good, along with the treble, bass, and other knobs, I fidget around to get diff tones out of it :cry:
Akshay
Band Manager

Postby Kieran89 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Did you take the GT8 then? :twisted:
Kieran89
Reckless Roadie

Postby Akshay » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:17 am

You won't believe this but the #$%@$#^!#s who were gonna sell it to me, broke our deal and sold it to someone in the same city :cry:

Looking at more entry level processors now, like the Digitech RP90 or the Zoom G1XN/G2.1U (from the Boss GT8 to these, how humiliating :P )... Any experience with either? Good or bad?? :?:
Akshay
Band Manager

Postby Neal » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:16 am

It's all down to personal tastes of course, but i'm not really a fan of Digitech. I gigged with an RP50 for a while and I think I had an RP200 at some point too. My dad has an RP50 as well. I think they're fine for clean stuff but the dirty sounds are just too processed for my liking. I've never owned anything by Zoom.

In saying that, going from just amp and guitar to a multi-fx like the RP90 will probably feel like a massive jump for you :P

How about some of the other multi-fx from Boss? The ME series is pretty affordable, I think the ME25 is around the same price as your GT8 was? People are always raving about that one.

If you're after something to compliment your amp how about the new Line6 M5 stompbox modeller? http://line6.com/m5/

I hate having to buy a new piece of kit like this - there's just way too much choice. You could spend months trying to figure out which one to get :lol:
Neal
Site Admin

Return to Gear & Accessories