25 Amazing Facts About Left Handed People

Let’s take a quick break from guitars and talk about being left handed in general for a change.  I’ve put together a list of 25 interesting left handed facts, from the funny to the weird and everything in between.

One really interesting factoid that I picked up was from a scientist who believed that left handed people tended to be more independent as a result of having to adapt to a world which is largely built for right handed individuals.  Here are a few more fascinating pieces of trivia related to being a lefty…

25 Facts About Left Handed People

Scientific Left Handed Facts

  • Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
  • More likely to have allergies
  • More prone to migraines
  • More likely to be insomniacs
  • Use the right side of the brain the most
  • Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
  • More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
  • Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
  • More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
  • Twice as likely to be a man
  • Better at 3D perception and thinking
  • Better at multi-tasking
  • Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
  • 39% more likely to be homosexual

Interesting Left Handed Trivia

  • Left handed pens are a thing! Who knew!?
  • Make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties)
  • Celebrate left handed day once a year – August 13th – International Left Handers Day
  • Draw figures facing to the right
  • Recover from strokes faster
  • More likely to pursue creative careers
  • Of the seven most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed
  • Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
  • On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.

Bizarre Left Handed Statistics

  • Adjust to seeing underwater quicker
  • Less able to roll their tongue than a righty
  • Nails grow faster on the left hand than the right

So we’ll live for nine years less than right handed people huh?  Well the way I see it, that’s nine years less squandering my kids’ inheritance money, living in a nursing home where some teenager cleans up my drool and wipes my arse for me – that’s a plus in my book ;) 

Further Reading – Check out these highly recommended books!

If you have any left handed trivia of your own leave a comment below!  Also be sure to check out our list of 15 Crazy Left Handed Superstitions and Myths!  You may also enjoy our article that looks at some of the theories that attempt to explain Why Are People Left Handed?

Hit the buttons below to share these facts with your friends!

437 replies
« Older Comments
  1. Decker
    Decker says:

    I am a lefty!! Lefty are unique and rare! Go team leafty. (My hand writing is also really good) I also know more lefty girls than righty why is this

    • Devon
      Devon says:

      hahaha no it’s quite normal; most of us left handed people have grown using the mouse with our right hand, eating with our right hand, or using scissors… I wouldn’t really call it a problem though. It just makes things more fun.

  2. rukundo patience(pax)
    rukundo patience(pax) says:

    i am lefty!!!,,,not only my hands..in everything i do i using left side…i were thinking dat am not nomal….

  3. Patrick
    Patrick says:

    The highest concentration of lefthanded people whom are related are the Kerrs. Look into Clan Kerr. In the Scottish borders people who are lefthanded are called Kerr-handed. Their castles stairwells are built counter clock wise to accomidate being lefthanded.

  4. Nick Hoyle
    Nick Hoyle says:

    All left handed people begin life in the womb as a twin, but only the left handed one develops, medical fact!

  5. Sup
    Sup says:

    I’m only 11 and I was just wondering about being left handed cause I am the devil may be left handed but that doesn’t mean I’m evil and im a rly good artist so thAt prooves that

  6. Salha
    Salha says:

    I use my left hand for everything
    I draw the map ,picture ,cook farst more than light hand. I wonder some times i have long hair it grow up faster in my left hand.it is amazing how it grow in my left hand.?

  7. kiran
    kiran says:

    Hi,i am agree that Allah has gifted some special qualities to lefties in which one of the best quality is they are sharp minded people due to this intelligency they are prominent in every place.I am also left handed.

  8. Lindi Gross
    Lindi Gross says:

    I am lefthanded. Judging by the remarks from others so afflicted – I am embarrassed to admit this.
    All I know is that we are right brain thinkers – which is the creative side… and I am proud of that…..

  9. Dave
    Dave says:

    I am left handed. I own an International recruitment company that out shadows almost all the right handed people I know by a Royal mile.

  10. karen mousie
    karen mousie says:

    I was told that as a baby, my mom frantically tried to put everything in my right hand whenever i would use my left…i guess back then alot of people had superstitions especially when there were no lefties in the family. Needless to say…I turned out left handed and fine.And I also have beautiful handwriting. Proud to be a south paw !!

  11. Zephyr
    Zephyr says:

    My parents are both righties. And me and my sister are lefty. We had 2% chance of lefty, and 98% chance of righty. I don’t know how but we are leftys

« Older Comments

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>