Let’s take a quick break from guitars and talk about being left handed in general for a change. I’ve put together a list of 25 interesting left handed facts, from the funny to the weird and everything in between.
One really interesting factoid that I picked up was from a scientist who believed that left handed people tended to be more independent as a result of having to adapt to a world which is largely built for right handed individuals. Here are a few more fascinating pieces of trivia related to being a lefty…
Scientific Left Handed Facts
- Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
- More likely to have allergies
- More prone to migraines
- More likely to be insomniacs
- Use the right side of the brain the most
- Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
- More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
- Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
- More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
- Twice as likely to be a man
- Better at 3D perception and thinking
- Better at multi-tasking
- Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
- 39% more likely to be homosexual
Interesting Left Handed Trivia
- Left handed pens are a thing! Who knew!?
- Make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties)
- Celebrate left handed day once a year – August 13th – International Left Handers Day
- Draw figures facing to the right
- Recover from strokes faster
- More likely to pursue creative careers
- Of the seven most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed
- Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
- On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.
Bizarre Left Handed Statistics
- Adjust to seeing underwater quicker
- Less able to roll their tongue than a righty
- Nails grow faster on the left hand than the right
So we’ll live for nine years less than right handed people huh? Well the way I see it, that’s nine years less squandering my kids’ inheritance money, living in a nursing home where some teenager cleans up my drool and wipes my arse for me – that’s a plus in my book
Further Reading – Check out these highly recommended books!
- The Left Stuff: How the Left-Handed Have Survived and Thrived in a Right-Handed World by Melissa Roth
- Left Is Right: The Survival Guide for Living Lefty in a Right-Handed World by Rae Lindsay
- The Puzzle of Left-Handedness by Rik Smits
- The Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness by Stanley Coren
If you have any left handed trivia of your own leave a comment below! Also be sure to check out our list of 15 Crazy Left Handed Superstitions and Myths! You may also enjoy our article that looks at some of the theories that attempt to explain Why Are People Left Handed? Hit the buttons below to share these facts with your friends!
If you have any left handed trivia of your own leave a comment below! Also be sure to check out our list of 15 Crazy Left Handed Superstitions and Myths! You may also enjoy our article that looks at some of the theories that attempt to explain Why Are People Left Handed?
Hit the buttons below to share these facts with your friends!