Let’s take a quick break from guitars and talk about being left handed in general for a change. I’ve put together a list of 25 interesting left handed facts, from the funny to the weird and everything in between.
One really interesting factoid that I picked up was from a scientist who believed that left handed people tended to be more independent as a result of having to adapt to a world which is largely built for right handed individuals. Here are a few more fascinating pieces of trivia related to being a lefty…
Scientific Left Handed Facts
- Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
- More likely to have allergies
- More prone to migraines
- More likely to be insomniacs
- Use the right side of the brain the most
- Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
- More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
- Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
- More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
- Twice as likely to be a man
- Better at 3D perception and thinking
- Better at multi-tasking
- Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
- 39% more likely to be homosexual
Interesting Left Handed Trivia
- Left handed pens are a thing! Who knew!?
- Make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties)
- Celebrate left handed day once a year – August 13th – International Left Handers Day
- Draw figures facing to the right
- Recover from strokes faster
- More likely to pursue creative careers
- Of the seven most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed
- Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
- On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.
Bizarre Left Handed Statistics
- Adjust to seeing underwater quicker
- Less able to roll their tongue than a righty
- Nails grow faster on the left hand than the right
You can find a handy infographic containing all of this information here. Feel free to share with friends!
So we’ll live for nine years less than right handed people huh? Well the way I see it, that’s nine years less squandering my kids’ inheritance money, living in a nursing home where some teenager cleans up my drool and wipes my arse for me – that’s a plus in my book 😉
Further Reading – Check out these highly recommended books!
- The Left Stuff: How the Left-Handed Have Survived and Thrived in a Right-Handed World by Melissa Roth
- Left Is Right: The Survival Guide for Living Lefty in a Right-Handed World by Rae Lindsay
- The Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness by Stanley Coren
If you have any facts about left handed people of your own, leave a comment below!
Hit the buttons below to share these facts with your friends!